My photo
portland metro, or, United States
i wish an orchestra & someone with a boombox would follow me around so that my life would continuously be accompanied by a soundtrack.

'ohana

She did not leave for home. She stayed with Rachel in her room, listening to a life's story that was, she discovered, richer than it was sad. She heard of her birth father, Kenji; her grandfather, Henry, and grandmother, Dorothy; learned of Rachel's hanai aunt, Haleola; Uncle Pono and Catherine and Sarah and Leilani and the rest of Rachel's cherished 'ohana. She learned what 'ohana meant, and that he was part of it. She began to understand that non of this could replace or usurp the family she had always known, but enriched what she already possessed. With wonder and a growing absence of fear she realized, I am more than I was an hour ago.

- moloka'i